Friday 5 December 2014

My Performance.


3.1. Outline the nature and context of a given performance, referring to a given brief.


In my performance I chose to use electro house, I looked at other genres before such as Dub step or hip-hop but I already have already got a track that I made called polygon and it’s a good bed to use as I know it by heart. For the past few weeks I have researched and looked at samples. I looked on you tube for songs and sampled parts out of the ones I liked. I made samples and one shots. With the samples and edited them and added effects using Ableton. I used effects such as the compressor to make the sample louder, delay to give it a more open sound etc. I learned a lot on how to use the ableton push pad, and I’ve developed a lot of confidence with using the device and it was used as the main ‘tool’ for my improv performance as I used it to trigger samples, oneshots and add effects to polygon, my electro house track.

I had the samples saved for future use and made sure they would work in the performance.  In the actual performance I used the Ableton push pad to trigger samples and to change the sound of the track. I used samples for a rise to add excitement before the drop, i played synths notes manually using the push pad over the first drop. I then used a repeat effect on the push pad to make the drop unique, I then sweeped the frequency of the whole track , without samples to fade it out to finish the track. 

Over all what i did for my performance i did an electro house/dance set. I have learned how to a compressor, delays,reverbs, the push pad. I also learned how to to bring in the track by changing the frequencies using the push pad.I also learned how to research, make and modify samples which i then triggered using the push pad.By using the push pad and having lots of practise i now feel very confident on using it. Since i have started my confidence had risen significantly both in my music production and my performance skills. 

4.1. Make creative suggestions about own contributions and the work of the group.

In my performance i feel like i should have made my sample trigger on time, I also feel as if i needed more practice. Not on the Push Controller but the fact that i needed to be more smoother with my timing. I liked how i changed up the track and it went well and gave the track more of an up beat feel, I tried to use as much things as i could with the controller and i think the performance as a whole went well. To make my improv performance fit in a bigger production i feel it should have more samples and be shorter so the crowd does not get board.







1 comment:

  1. Excellent work well done Lewis it has been a good journey of discovery for us both and the performance was great Hamlet

    ReplyDelete